Pacific Gateway ~ Your Transportation Route Between North America and Asia
Increasing container terminal
capacity at B.C. ports
Port Metro Vancouver
- 3.7 million TEUs increasing to 6 million TEUs by 2020.
- 4 terminals: Deltaport, Centerm, Vanterm and Fraser Surrey Docks and support services including dynamic transloading facilities and off-dock industry.
- CN and Canadian Pacific provide efficient direct rail service to major North American distribution centres.
- CN and Canadian Pacific railways have signed service level agreements with the Port Metro Vancouver and individual terminals on performance and efficiency.
BC’s Highway Improvements enhance efficiency of container movement by truck.
- South Fraser Perimeter Road, a new 4-lane, 40 km long highway will provide a major east-west link south of the Fraser River to Deltaport, Vancouver International Airport, Fraser River terminals and key industrial areas.
- Roberts Bank Rail Corridor
- 9 separate infrastructure projects currently underway.
- Accommodating forecast growth in rail and road traffic by increasing capacity.
- Double the number of freight trains by 2020.
- Increased velocity along the corridor to support operational efficiencies.
Prince Rupert is North America’s deepest natural harbour and closest port to Asia.
- Minimum 2 days closer from Shanghai than any other west coast port.
- “Chicago Express” for containerized imports and exports
- Fairview Terminal can handle the world’s largest container ships.
- 750,000 TEUs container capacity
- capacity to expand to 2 million TEUs by 2020
CN provides efficient and reliable direct ship-to-rail offloading. Route grades are greener on CN rail connections through the Rocky Mountains. CN provides scheduled service to inland destinations across Canada and into the US Midwest.
CN has recently upgraded its transload facility in Prince George to facilitate increased exports of containerized lumber from Northern BC.
BC’s longshore workers and foremen have signed contracts that ensure stability at BC Ports through 2018.
Competitive Business Environment
Municipal port property taxes will be permanently capped for designated BC ports and terminals.